Mr Tom Williamson, well known and respected course architect and Professional at the Notts Golf Club, Hollinwell, was contracted to design the eighteen hole course and his brother, Hugh, was appointed as the club Professional and instructed to prepare the first nine holes to be ready for opening by Easter 1906. They were in play within six months and the full links and clubhouse within eighteen months – a truly remarkable achievement.
By early 1907 eighteen holes were in play and the clubhouse construction was complete. The membership had risen to 150 and the first annual stroke play competitions were inaugurated - the Falcon Cup for men - and the Chapman Cup for ladies. The course matured rapidly, and by Easter 1913 it was described 'as one of, if not the best, links in the Midlands'. Extensive alterations were made to the clubhouse in 1937; a new drive was constructed from Snells Nook Lane, and trees in front of the clubhouse were removed.
In 1955 members and paying spectators were entertained by Dai Rees and amateur champion Guy Wolstenholme, who, after a golf clinic for members, with other leading amateurs as partners, then played an exhibition match.
With the foresight of Mr Charles W. (Bill) Hall, the club purchased the course from the De Lisle Estate in 1959. He generously signed a contract to buy, paid a binding deposit and raised the money to complete the transfer of ownership to The Longcliffe Golf Club Company, thus concluding the most significant step in the development of the club.
In 1960 tour professionals were again in action at Longcliffe when Bobby Locke, Max Faulkner, and Ken Bousfield were joined by local Pro Roddy McKellar for an exhibition four-ball in aid of The National Society for Cancer Relief.
In the years that followed, the clubhouse was enlarged and land was lost to the construction of the M1 prompting considerable course works followed by the installation of the irrigation system.
Dai Rees returned to Longcliffe in 1970 to play an exhibition match with fellow tour professionals, Peter Alliss, Bernard Hunt, and David Thomas, their efforts raising £250 for charity. In September 1973 work commenced on a major reconstruction of the clubhouse and in 1986 the new short 15th hole came into play, enhancing both the aesthetics and the playing characteristics of what is now recognised as our signature hole.
May 1993 saw the opening of the new Pro shop financed by Philip Hall in memory of his father, Charles W. (Bill) Hall, club Captain in 1957. The Green keepers workshop and outbuildings were completed in 1999, and later that year the clubhouse was reopened following major renovation. The rebuilt 1st green came into play in June 2000.
In 2006 Longcliffe celebrated its Centenary in style and since then gradual improvements to the clubhouse and patio area have been made, and although the course layout has remained largely unchanged the course quality, presentation and set-up make it an unmissable golfing experience for members and visitors alike.